Teacher: Miss Perry, Mrs Pimm, Mrs Gould
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Laird, Mrs White, Mrs Bateson and Mrs Rowe
Year 2 Spring Term
Following on from a successful and enjoyable Autumn term, we have got a busy and exciting Spring term ahead of us. First of all, we would like to say a huge ‘thank you’ for all of your help and support last term. It makes a huge difference to our learning in school.
This term, we have another new topic called ‘Heroes and Villains’ lined up. We have a number of key texts to explore within this topic, ranging from ‘Traction Man’ by Mini Grey to ‘Mr Gum’ by Andy Stanton. We will also be exploring materials in Science and design in D.T whilst creating superhero equipment. Within our SMSC lessons, we will be thinking about everyday heroes and people who help us. As always, we would like you all to be as involved as possible in the ‘learning journey’ so we will keep you informed of events and activities as and when they happen.
As before, we ask that you read at home with your child at least three times a week. This really does make a difference to children’s reading ability and their enjoyment of literature. We understand that this can be difficult on certain days but it is important to your child’s learning. Our Rainbow Reader scheme will continue as before. We would like to remind you that in Year 2, those children on our Accelerated Reader scheme can complete their quizzes and change their books first thing in the morning independently. If you have any questions about this, please do ask.
Thank you to those of you who continue to help with our Maths homework. This work is designed to support the Mathematical learning that takes place in class and is therefore a valuable part of the children’s education. It focuses largely on recalling key facts which develops children’s fluency. Homework will be sent out on Fridays as before.
PE day for both classes will continue to be Wednesday. Please ensure that your child has an appropriate P.E kit in school on Wednesdays. We do also ask that long hair is tied up and earring are removed or taped over.
Once again, we would like to thank you for your continued help and support.
- To develop stamina for writing
- To write for different purposes
- To use spacing between words that reflects the size of the letters
- To ensure ascenders and descenders can be easily distinguished
- To extend sentences using coordinating conjunctions (or, and, or but)
- To extend sentences using subordinating conjunctions (when, if, that, because)
- To develop an understanding of expanded noun phrases
- To use full stops correctly, to use capital letters correctly
- To read and write numbers correctly in numerals to 100.
- To add a two-digit number and ones and a two-digit number and tens where no regrouping is required
- To subtract a two-digit number and ones and a two-digit number and tens where no regrouping is required
- To recall doubles and halves to 20
- To use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20
- To count in twos, fives and tens from 0 and use counting strategies to solve problems
- To state the difference in tens and ones between two numbers
- To tell you some of my strengths as a learner.
- To listen to other people while they are talking.
- To set a realistic goal.
- To know some events or happenings that make people happy or sad.
- To make products with an awareness of purpose and design
- To explore and use moving parts in my products
- To refine my design as my work progresses
Thank you for support with your child’s education. We will keep you updated with any events or updates as the term progresses.
From the Year 2 Team