Teacher: Ms Stringer, Mr Garbett
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Delahaye, Mrs Watkins, Miss Stockley
Welcome to Year 5!
Play Mr Garbett’s game ‘The Tomb of Horrors‘.
Happy New Year!
Welcome back to Year 5! We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and had a good chance to relax, ready to come back raring to go! We had such a good time last term, looking at the Greeks and Space so we are really excited to be back. Last term, Year 5 built a great reputation for themselves, having some of the highest reading and times table Rock Stars scores in the school. People are starting to think of us as being pretty cool.
Changes this term:
- Our topic is now ‘The Anglo Saxons’ – The group of people living in Britain after the Romans left but before the Normans invaded. It is a great era of history to explore, especially since so many events happened in Somerset. We will also be looking at the life of Alfred the Great and those lovely, cuddly people known as the Vikings
- We are swimming every Thursday at 10:00am. The coach leaves from school so there is nothing extra you need to do other than make sure you have your swimming kit.
- New sports clubs are being run after school starting on Monday 7th January.
- There are more games and links on our Year 5 kids’ zone. All your old favourites are still there though.
We are also in the middle of planning a Viking boat morning and trip to Taunton Museum. We will keep you posted on these events but they will most likely take place sometime after the February half term holiday.
If you have any interesting Anglo Saxon knowledge, photos or artefacts, please do let your child bring them in to share with the class, as this really makes our topic come alive and gives the children lots of great ideas.
Things to remember:
- Spellings will be given out on Monday and tested on Friday
- Our reading records will still be checked on Friday. There will be rewards for reading 3 or more times a week
- Our P.E lessons will be on a Tuesday
- Swimming lessons will be on a Thursday
If you have any questions or problems, feel free to come and talk to us before or after school.
All of the information in this letter can be found on our school website and this and more is always being updated to our year group Kidblog page.
Thank you for all of your support, I know we are going to have a great time.
The Year 5 team