Teacher: Miss Lilley, Mr Garbett
Teaching Assistants: Mrs Delahaye, Mrs Rowe, Mrs Loader, Mrs Wake and Mrs White
Happy New Year!
Welcome back to Year 5! We hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and had a good chance to relax, ready to come back raring to go! We had such a good time last term, looking at the Greeks and Space so we are really excited to be back.
Changes this term:
- Our topic is now ‘The Anglo Saxons’ – The group of people living in Britain after the Romans left but before the Normans invaded. It is a great era of history to explore, especially since so many events happened in Somerset
- We are swimming every Thursday at 10:00am. The coach leaves from school so there is nothing extra you need to do other than make sure you have your swimming kit.
- New sports clubs are being run after school starting on Monday 8th January.
- There are more games and links on our Year 5 kids’ zone. All your old favourites are still there though.
If you have any interesting Anglo Saxon knowledge, photos or artefacts, please do let your child bring them in to share with the class, as this really makes our topic come alive and gives the children lots of great ideas.
Things to remember:
- Spellings will be given out on Monday and tested on Friday
- Our reading records will be checked on Friday. There will be rewards for reading 3 or more times a week
- Our P.E lessons will still be on a Wednesday
- Swimming lessons will be on a Thursday, so everyone will sleep well Thursday night
We are looking forward to organising a Viking boat building competition, during this topic. There will be more details about this, when we set a date.
If you have any questions or problems, feel free to come and talk to us before or after school.
Thank you for all of your support, I know we are going to continue to have a great year.
The Year 5 team